Matthew House is a small Christian-based shelter for newly arrived refugee claimants located in downtown Toronto near Dundas and Ossington. Each month, Matthew House, using three homes (including the Shirley St. Transition House), provides temporary shelter and assistance to approximately 30 newly arrived refugee claimants from around the world who would otherwise be homeless. To date, more than 1400 refugees have come from 96 different countries including Afghanistan, Colombia, Congo, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Haiti, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, and Zimbabwe.
The Shirley St. Transition House (TH) provides long-term (ie. one year) support and settlement assistance to approximately 6 to 8 refugees (at one time) who are vulnerable and in need of significant settlement support.
Role and Time Commitment: The house managers would live in the home and provide general daily supervision to ensure the house runs smoothly and the resident’s core needs are met effectively. Coming and going is flexible (eg. a person may work at a day job or study) but it is expected that house parents will sleep at the house nightly except for pre- arranged times away such as holidays or breaks (eg. one overnight away every other week).
*This position is ideally suited for a couple since having people of both genders available to relate to residents in the home is an asset.
Commitment Length: Minimum One year from starting date
– Committed Christian with a heart for people and for cross-cultural service
– Reliable, responsible, mature, very flexible, able to deal confidently with unexpected events
– Excellent relational/cross-cultural communication skills an asset
– Comfortable living in a communal setting where only a bedroom is private and all other areas including washroom are shared
– Knowledge of Canada’s refugee settlement process and/or experience with newcomers an asset committed to upholding Matthew House’s core values and standards
– Monitor residents’ wellbeing and meet regularly with Operations Director to report any concerns.
– Spend time with residents in order to know what is currently happening with them and how they can best be supported in their social and cultural adaptation to Canada cooperate with Operations Director in helping residents reach their goals (where applicable).
– Oversee the well being of the home and home environment including health and hygiene standards
– Ensure the house is locked and secure before retiring to bed.
– Ensure any bills or important mail is appropriately distributed
– Provide informal tutoring/teaching to residents in line with personal areas of expertise
– Attend MH staff meetings when appropriate to keep connected with larger MH network
– Conduct bi-weekly House Group activities to enhance healthy community living
– Perform basic administrative duties and deal with minor house repairs
Reports to: Operations Director, Matthew House
Remuneration: Free room and shared living space in Toronto.
Deadline: June 16, 2017 (revised)
Starting Date: July 1, 2017
Please send résumé and cover letter by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more info, you may call the Operations Director: Astar at 416–859–7848